In today’s episode of Content To Go, Rush Olson and Chris Handy discuss your content champion. Every organization must have a content champion. In VSBs, it’s you. In larger organizations, it’s still you! The champion has to own it and have a stake in its success.. Here are some scribblin’s from our notes:
He or she needs to:
- be a go-getter
- motivated to get the message out like crazy
- understand your brand
- have a grasp of different channels of content production and what it takes to be effective on each; That doesn’t mean he or she has to be able to produce everything, just understand everything.
- Being a good proofreader helps.
- understand the organization and its workflow well enough to comprehend what different departments need and how to utilize internal personnel.
- Getting lots of elements from a video shoot
- Repurposing TV into radio
- Getting interview questions on future subjects beyond the scope of the immediate need. (ESPN does this)
Optional features – there are probably more that we may think of
- Start calling him champ. He will like that.
- Get your champion a costume, with a cape.
- Change his job title to something like Heroic Defender of the Brand Manifesto
- Get him a sidekick – a younger content champion in training that he can show how to win the day.
- Provide him with trophies to give out. Not certificates – trophies. Big ones.